Charleston Historic Preservation Commission
The Historic Preservation Commission is charged with surveying the historic neighborhoods of Charleston. The Commission, in conjunction with the Historical Administration Program at Eastern Illinois University, has made great strides in this. The Commission will continue to pursue comprehensive architectural surveys of Historic Charleston. These surveys are included in Charleston’s CLG Inventory, a comprehensive listing of historic resources that is updated annually with the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and the National Park Service. To date, the following areas are listed in Charleston’s CLG inventory:
6th & 7th Streets (First Historic District Designation) Residential district, dominated by late 19th-early 20th century architecture; residential development in the late 1800s influenced by proximity to university. Contains three National Register listings (895 7th St.--Dudley House, 6th and 7th Street Stone Arch Bridges).
Jackson & Monroe Avenues (Between Division and 18th Streets) Residential district; contains a few examples of Civil War era buildings as well as late 19th-early 20th century structures; residential development influenced by proximity to Courthouse Square. Contains one National Register building (210 Jackson--Alexander Briggs House).
Hodgen’s Pond Area (Bounded by 4th Street, Tyler Avenue, 1st St, and Harrison Avenue) Residential district surrounding Hodgen’s Pond; represents broad mix of building types and styles c. 1860-1950, including Charleston’s only Shingle Style house, Civil War era houses, the 1930s Keystone Apartment Building, and mid-20th century modernism.
10th & 11th Streets (North of Lincoln Avenue) Residential district dominated by early-mid 20th century houses along with some19th century buildings. Contains one National Register structure, the 10th Street Stone Arch Bridge.
Courthouse Square and Surrounding Blocks Commercial/Mixed Use district; was the Original Town when platted in early 1830s; buildings date from c. 1860s-1960s; contains two National Register buildings (Coles County Courthouse and Will Rogers Theatre).
Railroad Avenue (Washington Avenue between Division & 6th Streets) Mixed Use district (industrial, commercial, residential); contains historic railroad buildings, old Brown Shoe factory, worker’s housing. Most of the buildings date to c. 1850s-1920s.